Monday, July 30, 2007

Hairspray Review....

Lots to talk about regarding Pride and the Diva by Diva show, but it will take way too long to compose my thoughts this evening. I'm still tired from the show and want to make it an early night.

As part of my wind down, I took the day off and didn't do much and then I went to see Hairspray with Daniel, Michael, Norman and Mito. We went to the 5:30 showing at Fashion Valley...the only theatre that respectable gays go to (Michael wouldn't be caught dead at UltraStar! :)

I liked the movie. It wasn't great, but when I put together all of the elements that I liked, I would have to give it a thumbs up. It's cotton candy ~ good wholesome entertainment that had a nice message under its glossy veneer.

I loved the cast. Michelle Pfeifer is still a knockout after all these years. I think if I was straight she would be in my top five stars I would want as a wife (Jaclyn Smith will always be number one :) John Travolta did a good job. While watching previews I remember thinking he looked weird, but his performance was actually good enough that I forget that it was JT playing a woman and just enjoyed the character. Queen Latifah was very good as well. It's great to see what an all around star she has blossomed into. I was never a big fan of hers as a rapper (actually I can't even remember really hearing much of her rapping) but she has turned in some great performances as an actress ~ whether she is singing or not. The young cast was good as well ~ and James Marsten was dreamy as Corny Collins.

While it's a movie that can wait for video ~ although it's likable and I hope it does well at the box office. One bad musical and everyone can't wait to condemn the movie musical!!

Well, I'm off to bed. Back to work tomorrow and I'm tired....

No comments: