Sunday, July 15, 2007

Everyone is Welcome At This Table...

Woke up pretty early again today ~ about 7:30am. I hadn't set my alarm last night, I thought if I was tired I would just sleep in and not go to Church. Even though I was up in plenty of time, I still contemplated not going. I have lots to do around the house...or just lounging around sounded great as well. After all, I did have a long day of rehearsal yesterday.

Instead of formulating a list of reasons why not to go, I decided it was less energy to just take a shower, throw on some clothes and go. Even as I sat in the pew, I was less than enthusiastic. I was waiting patiently for service to start, so it could quickly end. Then, much to my dismay, I saw the youth group buzzing around with beads and American Flags...which surely meant they were getting ready to entertain the congregation with something....oh the experience was going to get even better!! Not for nothing, sometimes it's painful to watch them do their skits and/or presentations ~ especially when in a mood like I was in today.

Bob came in. He's a friendly older gentleman who "the boys" have become friendly with at Church. Really nice man. Interesting, he never stays through the end of service, always ducking out before they serve communion. I need to ask him why someday.

Anyway, a bright spot shown through when Nita Sothern, a surly old firecracker made her way over to Bob to make small talk. I've never talked to her personally, I actually didn't even know her name, but I love when she is at service. If she has something to say, she says it...and don't try to treat her like a little old lady you are placating. Bob pleasantly asked Nita how she was doing and her reply was "To soon to tell and soon it will be too late to care". I loved that response! So much so that I grabbed an offering envelope and pencil and promptly wrote it down. I didn't know her name, so I asked Bob for it so I could give her credit for the quote that I'm sure I'll be using again someday :)

Anyway, the service started and the passage of the week had to do with Noah, the flood, and rebirth. It would tie in nicely with the youth group presentation regar,ding their trip to New Orleans for hurricane Katrina relief work. During children's moment (which is different from the youth group) they talked about the rainbow and how that was Gods promise to the people that there would never be a flood again. I don't know why, but that warmed my heart. I guess it was just such a pleasant thought, and the sentiment is true in life ~ no matter what your beliefs are. Their is always calm and a rainbow after the "storm", no matter how bad it may seem at the time.

I felt a bit like the Grinch when his heart starts to grow because I just started to be present with the fact that I was at Church, verses continuing to debate why I went this week. I decided to listen to and absorb what was happening verses staying stuck in my head.

Reverend Jill was preaching today and she talked about the trip and had 4 of the youth share parts of their experience. It was so touching and inspiring. The words and thoughts from the "mouths of babes" was pure and such a good reminder of all things good. It also made me happy that these preteens and teens were doing something to give back to others. It was nice to see this type of involvement from the youth and made me feel good about the future. Such a different vision than the poor kids being dragged around by the protesters at the game last week.

Two women from the congregation talked about some Jubliee celebration that was going on. It's to help pay off world debt for third world nations. They said that it was inspired by an old Hebrew ritual in the Bible. The ritual was that every seven years, debts were cleared for all so that people could get equal footing and have a chance in the world. I thought that was a great equalizing force, something so missing in today's society. It made me think that we should also do this with emotional baggage and debt. Wouldn't it help to free those who have done us wrong or who have pained us, every seven years (or less). Think about all the baggage we could get rid of if we did that with our negative energy and pent up frustrations. Why only do this with material debts, would that help solve some of the problems in the world. While very simplistic, if we all truly did that can you imagine how different things would be? Not only would it be a gift to others, it would also be a gift to ourselves.

As always. the service ended with communion. My favorite part of the service is when the preacher, whoever it is, always makes a point to make the following statement after they talk about the bread and the cup of wine. They always say that this table is open to everyone and they explain the process of dipping the bread in the wine and them joining in the closing circle. I love that inclusive nature. I love the fact that although it is old hat for 98% of the people in the room, they ALWAYS explain that it is open to all and go through the process. It would be so easy to just go through the motions, but they specifically make a point to include and educate everyone. That is just beautiful and to me encapsulates what being a Christian is all about.

They always play a song as the individuals line up to take communion and this week it was "I'm gonna eat at the welcome table" ~ so appropriate for all the feelings I was having today.

I left the service feeling much better. I had done my spiritual exercising for the week. It really was much like exercise ~ sometimes you don't want to do it, but you always feel better afterwards. Now they just need to serve something other than bread during the service because we all know that carbs are no good for you ~ even if they are spiritual carbs :)

No comments: